Tuesday, April 5, 2011

High School Regrets



        High school. It can be your worst nightmare or four years of your life that you really enjoyed. It's a time in our lives where we grow the most and learn some valuable lessons in life. For some, high school is a living hell, for others, bearable. But what about when you're about to graduate, and you look back? Are you proud to say you went to every football game? Tried out for every sport? Or even joined every club? Can you say you went to all the dances and weren't a wall flower? Did you really take advantage of every opportunity to grow out of a middle school dork and into a young and mature adult? Would you go back and have a major redo? 
     High school for me was not all that I thought it would be. I was expecting big "bangs" to happen, like in the movies. But Hollywood and reality don't exactly mix. Going through high school was just like going through middle school, and through elementary. There weren't flashing lights, gorgeous jocks, or snobby cheerleaders (okay, there ARE but not as bad as in the movies!). It was just people going through life, trying to pass classes, and dreaming of graduating.
    But for me, I think I could do a major make-over on my high school career. There are so many things I wish I could just go back and redo. I think to myself often about what I would go back and redo. My grades in freshman and sophomore year were pretty good, but I think now that I should have gone out for sports, got more involved in clubs, and pushed myself to be more social. I wanted to go out for sports, but I never felt like I was good enough. I was either too short or couldn't run long enough. Clubs, weren't really much of an option because I have commitment issues. That, and I couldn't always get a ride home. I was really shy then, still am, and so the dream of being a "popular girl" went out the window.
     Driving is huge to a teen in high school! I planned on driving when I was 16, but family issues happened and I had to push it back to 18. I see all these younger kids having liscenses and I envy them. I wish I would have pushed myself more to push my parents to let me drive. So not I have to wait until May to go for it.
    Clubs. We had a lot of clubs on campus! A lot that interested me too! I wish I would have joined them and maybe them I would have explored more of my talents and made some good friends along the way. I wanted to do photography, German, writting, and maybe even Key Club. Now, trying to do essays for college admission is hard when you haven't done community service.
    Classes. I wish I would have taken some classes over others. In sophomore year, I was trying to take chemistry, but when I was put in geology, and I didn't push to get it changed. I wish I would have been in journalism and helped work on the school newspaper (which I'm helping with now! Yay!). If I could go back, I wouldn't have taken an AP class and end up failing it. I would have fought harder to get out of a class that I knew the teacher was impossible, and not failed it. I would have challenged myself more and not try to go for the easy classes. I would've gone out for the advanced choir instead of thinking I wasn't good enough and chickening out.
    Sports. I love some sports. With training, I really could have done some amazing things. I didn't go out for volleyball cause I thought only tall girls got it. I wanted to do water polo but I couldn't swim well and I was worried about getting the crap beaten out of me. Maybe I would have even gone out for track. If I would have taken advantage of all of this, I would love to be more active. Now, It's kind of a pain in the ass to run. I actually can't run too well.
    I wish I would have done many things differently. Maybe not fall for him, or listen to her drama, and be there for him when he needed me. If I could redo all of high school, I really would. Now, graduating in 2 months, I'm actually scared about what to do next. Again, my plans have been swooped from under me, but I know that this time, I need to stand up and put my foot down and do things MY way.
    
       High school taught me all of this, I just wish I could go back and fix it to my ideals. But, you know what they say, things happen for a reason. Still, no matter what live throws at you, take advantage of it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment